Curious Toddler? 3 Things You Must Do After Your Child Is Electrocuted

Blog

If you think that electrocution could never happen to your child, think again. Approximately 70 percent of the thousands of people who are treated for electricity-related accidents in the United States are curious toddlers and children under the age of 5. In many cases, accidents occur when a child sticks something, such as a finger or fork, into an electrical outlet. Fortunately, most children walk away from the experience. However, about 100 children die each year due to electrocution. 

If your child accidentally gets too close to an electrical outlet and a mishap occurs, there are a few things you need to do to make sure that both your child and your house are safe. Electrical accidents can have serious consequences that may not be readily apparent at the time of the accident. For this reason, you should follow these steps even if the accident seems minor. 

Turn Off the Power

In cases of severe electrocution, the victim may become stuck to the object that's electrocuting them. To break the current, you must turn off the power source or remove your child from the situation using an item that does not conduce electricity, such as a wooden stick. Even if your child does not get stuck, you should flip the breaker. There may be damage behind the wall that you can't see, and you don't want to run the risk of having an electrical fire while you're tending to your child. 

Go to a Doctor

Injuries caused by electrical current are not always immediately recognized. In fact, symptoms can develop over the course of eight hours. Therefore, you must have your child checked out by a doctor even if you think they're fine. While you're waiting to see the doctor, you should watch for emerging symptoms of electrical shock, such as a headache, muscle spasms, fatigue, breathing difficulty, vision loss and hearing loss. 

Call an Electrician

When a foreign object is placed into an electrical outlet, the outlet may short out, which can result in a fire if it is not fixed. For this reason, you should always have a professional electrician, like those at Direct Current, inspect the electrical outlet and perform any necessary repairs before you turn the power back on to the affected outlet.  

Electrical outlets are dangerous. Be sure to child proof yours by using plastic safety covers or by replacing your existing outlets with child-proof ones. If an accident does occur, take steps to prevent further injury to your child and home by getting immediate medical and electrical help.

Share

14 September 2015

Staying Safe Around Electricity

Have you ever thought about the dangers sitting around your home? Although it might be easy to overlook, electrical outlets, panels, and wiring can hurt you in an instant--if you don't know how to treat it. I have been a homeowner for many years, and I have learned a lot about what to do--and what not to do--around electricity. Check out my blog for information regarding electrical safety. By using this information, you might be able to protect your curious kids, avoid electrical expenses, and fend off house fires. In addition to saving you money and time, this information can also protect the people you love.