Three Signs Of Household Electrical Trouble That Should Warrant A Visit From An Electrician

Blog

Even if you take pride in performing general household maintenance tasks on your own, it's important to be able to accurately understand your limitations and know when it's time to take a step backward. Few instances are better indicative of this sentiment that those that relate to your house's electrical system. Working on wiring and electrical fixtures without the proper expertise can result in an injury or, in the worst-case scenario, a fire in your home. You can skip these risks by hiring a home electrician to visit your home and handle the work for you. Here are three electrical problems that should warrant a visit from a professional.

Tingling Feeling Around Outlets

While you should know to call an electrician right away if there's a wall outlet in your home that is repeatedly shocking your family members, you might not sense the same urgency if you have an outlet that gives you a tingling feeling in your fingers. The concern with this issue is that you're experiencing a mild shock, even if it doesn't cause you pain. The shock is likely the result of faulty wiring; in many cases, the wiring might be sending current to the outlet box, which can be a fire hazard in addition to a shock hazard. Have an electrician visit right away to get the problematic outlet replaced.

Repeated Use Of Power Bars

A power bar is ideal in a home office when you have to supply power to computer components such as the screen, speakers, printer and more, but it's not ideal to be using power bars throughout your home. Prolific power bar use can be a symptom of not having enough wall outlets in your home or having wall outlets that aren't supporting the electrical demands of your lifestyle. In either case, using a power bar risks overloading the circuit and tripping your breaker panel. An electrician can help you assess the situation and take steps such as beefing up your breaker panel or even installing additional wall outlets in your home.

Outlets That Don't Grip Plugs

It's an annoyance when your electrical device's plug simply falls out of the wall outlet, but this issue means there is something serious at play. When the outlet doesn't solidly grasp the plug, it means the interior contacts are worn or otherwise damaged. As a result, the loose contacts can lead to arcing, which is the term that describes what happens when current jumps. The concern is that the current will jump to the wood framing around the outlet and cause a fire, which is why it's important to call your electrician upon noticing this issue.    

Share

15 February 2016

Staying Safe Around Electricity

Have you ever thought about the dangers sitting around your home? Although it might be easy to overlook, electrical outlets, panels, and wiring can hurt you in an instant--if you don't know how to treat it. I have been a homeowner for many years, and I have learned a lot about what to do--and what not to do--around electricity. Check out my blog for information regarding electrical safety. By using this information, you might be able to protect your curious kids, avoid electrical expenses, and fend off house fires. In addition to saving you money and time, this information can also protect the people you love.